Beautiful Places to See In and Around Gir
On first glance, Gir appears to be little more than a nondescript nook in western Gujarat. But it holds a treasure that attracts flocks of tourists. This treasure is the awe-inspiring wild haven, Gir National Park, home of the unique Asiatic Lion. This is the only place in the world where you can spot it in the wild. Not only will you be able to see this majestic creature but also spot jackals, striped hyenas, marsh crocodiles, Sambar deer, Chowsinghas, and about 200 species of birds!
How to reach
The easiest way to get to the inner sanctuary of the Gir Forest is to reach Junagadh in Gujarat. This tiny city is connected to Mumbai, Ahmedabad, New Delhi, and Rajkot by train. Once you reach Junagadh, it’s about a two-and-a-half-hour drive to the forest. You may also fly into Ahmedabad from major Indian metros like Mumbai, Bengaluru, and New Delhi. From here, it takes about seven hours to reach Gir by road.
When to visit
The best time to visit the national park is between the months of April and May. Even though these are hot months, they are the best for lion-spotting. Gir also tops the chart of best destinations for family vacations as these preferred viewing months coincide with children’s summer holidays.
There are plenty of interesting places beyond the forest, making it a versatile locale to spend your vacations. Read on to discover some of these places to see in Gir.
• Spot birds at the Nal Sarovar Bird Sanctuary
• Take in the sight of the majestic Kamleshwar Dam
• Recite a prayer at the Somnath Temple to show gratitude for the lovely family vacation!
• Learn about the history of Junagadh at the Durbar Hall Museum with its extensive collection of silver artifacts and tapestries
• Unwind at the Chorwad and Ahmedpur Mandvi beaches.
• Trek up the Girnar mountains, which are considered to be older than the Himalayas. They hold religious significance for devotees of Lord Shiva and followers of the Jain faith. As you make your way to the summit, you will come across tiny temples of great historical significance.
• Visit the Uparkot Fort, a complex that is almost 2,300 years old. Its ruins display beautiful entrances, pillars, and water cisterns along with some interesting Buddhist caves.
Where to stay
Put on your jungle hat and embark on a thrilling forest safari from the comforts of Club Mahindra Gir. This resort is a great property for fun-filled relaxation. In case you don’t want to step out apart from your safari visits, it offers plenty of in-resort activities including nature walks, and a buzzing activity center to keep you and the kids occupied. Furthermore, the 43 luxurious living spaces are an attractive option to unwind. It is this and a lot more that makes Club Mahindra one the best Gir resorts. Enjoy guaranteed thrill and fun when you book your family vacation at Club Mahindra Gir.